Quick Halloween Quilt

It’s been too long since I made a quilt! And when I finally make one, I do it in a weekend! I guess that’s how I roll.

I am excited that Summer is coming to an end as Autumn is my absolute favorite season, hands down. Over Labor Day weekend we stayed in a cabin in Mazama, WA (North Cascades) and I packed my sewing machine and supplies to make this quick quilt!

Early morning quilting πŸ™‚

I specifically chose a simple 9-patch block pattern so I could easily stop and go and set aside my stuff when needed. After cutting all my squares, I chain pieced them all together and before I knew it, I had all my blocks ready to assemble!

All my blocks laid out!
Bruno was testing out the quilt early. I think he approves? πŸ™‚

The fabrics are a scrappy mix of various fat quarters that i’ve bought over the years. I can’t tell you the exact names of them all since they don’t all have their selveges, but a lot are by Kim Diehl’s Welcome Wagon collection, Ladie’s Album by Barbara Brackman and I believe the border is by Blackbird Designs. Most are from a little quilt shop in Poulsbo, WA which sadly is no longer around. And all the orange and black colors are from one of my favorite quilt shops called 3 Bears Quilt Shop in Winthrop, WA.

like my Halloween scissors by Fiskars? Found them last year at Joanne fabrics.
I don’t usually get a pic of me quilting, so thought i’d share this. Hi! πŸ™‚

I made the pattern for you all. πŸ™‚ Here’s a link to the printable PDF pattern as well. It should auto download once you click it: https://www.quiltingintherain.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/halloween-quilt.pdf

(click to enlarge)

Here’s a few more pictures I took. I was planning to quilt it myself (nope – didn’t use QAYG for this one!) but I’m tempted to take it to a long arm for them to quilt little ghosts or pumpkins on it. I’ll have to share the finished quilt.

on the swing out front – these color are gorgeous!
close up πŸ™‚ Thanks to my husband for being my quilt holder.
I picked up this new spooky book from the local Winthrop bookstore to really put me in the Fall mood. It’s a historical fiction novel about the American witch hunt trials. It’s dark, horrifying and sets the mood! I recommend it if you’re into that kind of read. πŸ™‚
I couldn’t have asked for a more relaxing weekend.
voila! all done!

Anyway, that’s it for now. Just wanted to share what i’ve been up to. Also, me being in the “spooky” mood just might be a hint of what’s to come next from Quilting in the Rain! πŸ˜‰

Thanks for reading!

p.s. anyone get a copy of my new book Quilt As-You-Go Made Clever, yet? πŸ™‚

-jera

14 Responses to Quick Halloween Quilt

1. Eileen Emerson September 12, 2021 at 12:08 pm #

Your Halloween spirit is showing Jeri and it’s such a soft casual quilt for the season. I also enjoy that author so I’ll have to check out that book at the library on my next request, thanks for the inspiration. Also your BRUNO looks a bit lion-ish for that quilt assistant picture you took , unless that’s a tease towards his Halloween costume. Lol.

• Quiltingintherain September 22, 2021 at 2:15 am #

haha thank you! πŸ™‚ Yes, we’ve already started decorating for Halloween in our home.

2. mimisdarlins September 12, 2021 at 2:11 pm #

I love checkerboard quilts any time of year! This one is perfect for fall and not too overtly Halloween-ish with the classic paisley border. Glad you enjoyed such a serene weekend getaway with your family.
    I did receive my Quilt As You Go Made Clever about a week ago, and am so enjoying it…another winner, Jera! Now I have your complete library πŸ™‚

• Quiltingintherain September 22, 2021 at 2:16 am #

The whole QAYG series?! Awesome and thank you! πŸ™‚

3. Sandi September 12, 2021 at 2:40 pm #

I love your quilt!! Thank you for sharing your pattern. Wonderful pictures. Hugs,

• Quiltingintherain September 22, 2021 at 2:17 am #

you are so welcome! πŸ™‚

4. Julie September 12, 2021 at 7:51 pm #

I bought your new book the day it came out, and already looking forward to the next one.
    I had two ancestors (mother and daughter) who were accused witches during the witch trials. They both managed to survive.

• Quiltingintherain September 22, 2021 at 2:18 am #

wow, then i think you’ll appreciate the book πŸ™‚ This is probably the last book of my quilt as you go series but i have two before this one.

5. Connie September 13, 2021 at 6:02 pm #

I have several of your books and plan on purchasing this one. Thank you for the pattern. Is adorable Bruno your dog?

• Quiltingintherain September 22, 2021 at 2:18 am #

Thank you for having my books! πŸ™‚ Bruno is my mom’s dog.

6. Dr. Mary Erickson September 13, 2021 at 8:43 pm #

Beautiful quilt! I preordered your new book on Amazon so long ago, so I’ve had for a while now. But, I’ve been busy with our new English Bulldog puppy 😍 Rosie is 3 months now and let me tell you, this mama is tired πŸ₯± Bruno is so handsome! I shed a little tear when I read about your Paige.

Anyway, I hope to get everything under control soon-ish and get back to quilting. Take care πŸ’œ

• Quiltingintherain September 22, 2021 at 2:19 am #

aww thank you so much…yes we still miss Paige very much and are looking to adopt a shelter dog, just like Paige was. Bruno (in this blog post) is my mom’s. πŸ™‚

7. duniwp September 19, 2021 at 1:09 pm #

You made that in a weekend?! Amazing! Love it and thanks for sharing the pattern. Oh, and hello Bruno πŸ™‚
    happy Sunday, best
    Duni

• Quiltingintherain September 22, 2021 at 2:20 am #

I’ll give Bruno a squeeze for you πŸ™‚