Loyal Heights No-Batting Quilt (free pattern)

Hey again everyone! I’m on a roll with blogging these last few days 😉 Thank you all for being here and following my quilting/fabric designing endeavors with me. As another show of my thanks, Lecien Fabrics and I are gifting another free pattern for you all – woohoo!

This quilt is unique because it’s made using a heavier cotton-linen fabric from my latest fabric collection called Loyal Heights, available in stores now (Spring 2019). Because the material is thicker, I decided not to use batting and instead tied the quilt with yarn for a quick finish. It makes a wonderful quilt/blanket that’s a bit lighter, perfect for Summer or warmer climates. It’s a super easy quilt to make too – great for beginner quilters! Bonus: no traditional binding for this pattern!

Usually linen is a bit scratchier material, however this cotton-linen is super soft because I believe it’s 80% cotton, 20% linen. It makes a wonderful home decor fabric as well, but with me, my brain goes straight to quilts! :-p

This is my Loyal Heights collection, printed on a larger scale for cotton-linen only. Not shown is the gold metallic hearts in the polka dot print because Lecien wasn’t able to add the metallic stamping in time for quilt market, which is when I made this quilt.

Unfortunately I am not sure who carries the cotton-linen fabric at this time. I will eventually have some in my shop and will be selling these quilt kits but I have not received the bolts yet.

I was inspired to make this quilt from this no-batting quilt that I made many moons ago. Check it out for more inspiration. 🙂

As promised, you can find the free pattern by clicking the link or image below.

Hope you enjoyed this post and the free pattern!

Happy Quilting 🙂

-jera brandvig

11 Responses to Loyal Heights No-Batting Quilt (free pattern)

1. Little Quiltsong May 1, 2019 at 10:15 am #

Thank you Jera – for this free pattern. I haven’t made a tied quilt in years – and this brings back happy memories. Your fabric is lovely with all the added gold metallic accents!

2. Jean May 1, 2019 at 11:44 am #

Thank you Jera! I just made a summer quilt with no batting, and am looking forward to making this pretty one of yours!
    -Jean ❤

3. mimisdarlins May 1, 2019 at 2:21 pm #

What a sweet, old fashioned quilt. I love to make an occasional tied quilt. Sometimes you and I think alike…I’ve never met a fabric that I can’t use in a quilt 🙂

4. Lisa May 1, 2019 at 4:00 pm #

I love it! Thanks for the free pattern

5. Patricia Cash May 1, 2019 at 4:58 pm #

Thank you for the pattern the fabric is pretty.

6. Rosemaryflower May 2, 2019 at 1:13 pm #

Jera, this is a pretty quilt. I love these fabrics so much.
    Thank you for the pattern. This is a perfect quilt for summer

7. Sue H May 2, 2019 at 1:50 pm #

Beautiful new fabric line and lovely quilt. Thank you for your generosity!

8. Marjorie Kammueller May 4, 2019 at 3:43 am #

I was under the impression that the definition of a quilt is three layers, top, batting, backing — at least all the quilt show definitions definite a quilt as three layers …. when did that change? Is what you made what some southern women call a “flimsy”…..

9. Anita Vaughn June 12, 2019 at 2:43 am #

Beautiful! I can’t seem to find your cotton linen Loyal Heights online. I would love to make this quilt!

10. Kimberly Lee June 13, 2019 at 11:52 am #

Love this quilt and fabric! Thank you for the free pattern. I am wondering what fabric you used for the backing.

11. Cheryl July 25, 2019 at 12:55 am #

Thank you for the pattern. Fabric arrived today from fat quarter shop. Can’t wait to get started. Did I miss the LaConner fabric bundles you talked of posting in your shop? I’ve been watching – hope I didn’t miss it. Cheryl